Help from Social Services

Social Services - helping people by reaching out to themThe person you care for may be entitled to an assessment of their social care needs by Social Services. This assessment looks at different aspects of the care they need and will result in either the provision of care services, an entitlement to Direct Payments or information and advice on how to best manage their individual care needs.

If the person you care for is assessed as needing the provision of care services they may be offered some help. This could be provided by paid carers and is normally to help with specific tasks such as:

  • getting in and out of bed
  • making meals
  • taking medication

Alternatively the person you care for may be offered a service to help them meet people and go out to social activities such as clubs or day centres. If the person you care for wishes to use these services there may be a financial assessment. This will determine how much the person you care for has to contribute towards the cost of their care.

The person you care for may also be able to receive other services and help from Luton Borough Council. To request an assessment please e-mail: or call the
Customer Service centre on 01582 547659 or 547660