Are you an unpaid carer?

If you are supporting a family member or friend who has a physical disability or mental health needs then you could be classed as an unpaid carer.

A carer is someone who looks after a relative or friend who, because of age, mental health, physical or other disability, cannot manage at home without help.

Even if you receive Carer’s Allowance for your caring role, you are still classed as an unpaid carer.

The type of care you provide may range from personal care such as going to the toilet, washing and feeding, to visiting, shopping and housework, mental health support and 24 hour care.

A carer is someone of any age who provides care to someone who:

  • Has a physical disability
  • Has a sensory impairment
  • Has a learning difficulty
  • Has mental health support needs
  • Has problems with drug or alcohol misuse
  • Has a long term or chronic illness
  • Is an older person who is physically or mentally frail

……..or any combination of the above.

There are three different types of carer

Adult Carers

These are carers over the age of 18 who look after a relative or friend.

Young carers

This means a child or young person under the age of 18.

A ‘young carer’ is defined in section 96 of the Children and Families Act 2014 as: ‘…a person under 18 who provides or intends to provide care for another person’. This relates to care for any family member who is physically or mentally ill, frail, elderly, disabled or misuses alcohol or substances.

Sally and Levi from our Carers Central team are here to help

Please contact us if you would like to speak to Sally and Levi from our carer support team, for free and confidential assistance with everything about caring. We help unpaid carers with advice and support on many topics including helping you to set-up a Carer’s Assessment and checking you are claiming the right benefits.

Helping you to fill-in benefit claim forms

We can also help you to fill-in your benefit claim forms for Carers Allowance, Personal Independence Payments and Attendance Allowance.


Links to local help:

The Disability Resource Centre provides confidential, independent and free advice and support to carers. The up-to-date information and advice provided is available to people of any age and with any disability, older people, their families, carers, friends and associated professionals throughout Bedfordshire and Luton.

You can also make appointments with the expert benefits advisors who can give more specific advice such as benefit checks and help with form filling.

Carers UK – Help with benefits

Carers UK provided information on the benefits that unpaid carers may be entitled to.  This includes Carers Allowance.

Age UK Bedfordshire

Age UK has a trained team of staff and volunteers who can give independent advice on many topics for older people in Luton. Age UK also have a money matters page on their main website which includes information on benefits and more.

Luton Council

Luton Council can give you advice on housing benefits to help with your rent payments and council tax support to help with your council tax payments.

Luton Rights

Luton Rights provided free independent advice on welfare benefits and tax credits to residents in Luton.


Some of the information for carers can be complex.

Don’t worry, we can help you.

Sally and Levi are here to help explain the information on all of these websites, so please contact us  for free and confidential assistance.


Share this page

We are here to help unpaid carers across Luton

Call: 0300 303 0201


We are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

32 ways to improve your wellbeing

There are lots of ways to help improve your overall wellbeing as a carer. Here we have compiled some local organisations and support groups that can help with your wellbeing, as well as some nationally available services, phone apps and useful websites.

Read More »
Skip to content