Here are the NHS top ten tips for coping in the hot weather…
- Shut windows and pull down the shades when it is hotter outside. You can open the windows for ventilation when it is cooler.
- If you’re vulnerable to the effects of heat, avoid the sun during the hottest part of the day (11am to 3pm).
- Keep rooms cool by using shades or reflective material outside the windows. If this isn’t possible, use light-coloured curtains and keep them closed (metallic blinds and dark curtains can make the room hotter).
- Have cool baths or showers, and splash yourself with cool water.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol – water, lower-fat milks and tea and coffee are good options.
- Listen to alerts on the radio, TV and social media about keeping cool.
- Plan ahead to make sure you have enough supplies, such as food, water and any medications you need.
- Identify the coolest room in the house so you know where to go to keep cool.
- Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors.
- Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves.
Who We Are
Carers Central is a completely free and dedicated service available to unpaid carers living or caring for someone in Luton.
Our two Carer Support Workers take our service out to different venues across Luton and provide home visits when necessary.
We give Carers advice, information and help that is derived from our knowledge and experience of working with all the existing local services, Luton GP practices, the Carers Partnership Board in Luton and our additional partners.
Thanks to funding by Luton Council we are able to provide information and practical support to a great number of Carers in Luton.
For practical support for carers please call us on 0300 303 0201 or send us an email.